The plat below shows early streets and sub-divisons of Florala (Hughes Addition). It is signed by George Reeves, Attorney, and dated Nov. 10, 1902. Most of these streets exist today. The small 50′ x 100′ and 150′ lots suggest that they were planning to build high density housing. Most city lots in Florala having houses are double lots. Absent from this plat is the Central of Georgia Railroad which crossed 5th Ave behind the Flatiron building. Note that Wall Street, the angular street behind the Flatiron building, is likewise not on this plat. The Yellow River railroad came to Florala in 1898, therefore this plat was likely for subdivision purposes. The Central of Georgia railroad did not extend to Florala until 1903. It ultimately crossed block 2 which was subdivided in this plat.
This plan was drawn on thin tissue paper which was rolled up, very wrinkled and fragile when we uncovered it. It measures 27 1/2″ x 17 1/2″. Some bugs considered it worthy to eat. We have had it professionally conserved. This map likely came to Margaret R. Baker from her Uncle, William Christopher McLauchlin (see story of WC McLauchlin).
The articles below describe Florala in 1904 and 1905 (enlarge to read)
top of page
bottom of page above – 1905 magazine article (North & South Vol IV, No. 1, May) on Florala and Lockhart
- North and South Magazine 1904 (top)
- North and South Magazine 1904 (bottom)