Jackson Lumber Company was located in Lockhart, AL adjacent to and west of Florala. The mill no longer exists, nor does the railroad which served it, however the old logging pond can be easily seen from Hwy 55. Jackson Lumber Co was closed during WWII. It was named “Jackson” for E.E. Jackson, a lumber entrepreneur from Maryland who started the mill. Read a 1908 article on Florala lumber mills: Florala Lumber Cos-15. A history of Jackson Lumber co and the peonage controversy can be found here http://www.southernspaces.org/2013/inside-jackson-tract-battle-over-peonage-labor-camps-southern-alabama-1906.
Engineering News-Record, July 7, 1938.
1924 Map of the Jackson Lumber Co.
Logging crew for Jackson Lumber Co.
Jackson Lumber Co Mill and logging pond
Jackson Lumber company logging crews
Jackson Lumber Company was owned by Crossett, Watzek and Gates Industries of Crossett, AR. Crossett Lumber Co continued as a company and merged with Georgia-Pacific in 1962.
This steam engine (above and below) provided power for the Jackson Veneer Mill in Laurel Hill, FL. It is located at the Florala Historical Museum (old L&N depot). Sam A. Jackson, who was secretary for Jackson Veneer Mill, was responsible it being placed at the museum as a reminder of the early lumber industry in the area.
Ad for the Britton Lumber Co. Britton Lumber Co was located in Lakewood, FL (two miles east of Lake Jackson).
Hughes Lumber Co (Florala Saw Mill Co) was located close to Lake Jackson on its southeast side. W.D Johnson was president and J.T. Hughes was vice-president.
Notice the fire barrels on the tops of these structures.
A bill of sale for the Belmont Lady (1917). Sold by W.S.Harlan, manager of the Jackson Lumber Co, and namesake of the W.S.Harlan Elementary School, Lockhart, AL.