J.E. Hughes, known as the “Daddy of Florala”, believed that the town should be built with materials sturdier than wood. He owned a cement block factory and promoted cement block construction. For that reason a number of buildings downtown were made of cement bricks and they still stand today.
The banner sign by the Opera House reads “The Sins of the Father”
James H. Busbee, Florala policeman, ca 1910-16. JH Busbee lived at Children’s Home, FL, near Laurel Hill. (from Cheri Clark)
The Geronimo Hotel was on the north side of 5th Ave (card postmarked 1912). The building no longer exists. Geronimo was captured 1886 and held for a time at Ft. Pickens in Pensacola in 1887, and then near Mobile, AL. His “stay” in Pensacola may have inspired the name of the Geronimo Hotel in Florala.
Back of the Geronimo Hotel card (above)
The Geronimo Hotel is seen on the right hand side of this photo
The Opera House is the largest building in this picture above on the left.
This soda fountain was likely destroyed when the Opera House burned down.
Flatiron building on right above
Flatiron Building 2012