The Colonial Hotel was owned by the Lake Jackson Hotel Company. Railroad tracks separated it from the lake (see below). This allowed visitors, many who came to attend Chautuaqua lectures, to disembark at the hotel. The officers of the Lake Jackson Hotel Co were: W. H. Britton, president; W. C. McLauchlin, secretary-treasurer; J. T. Hughes, vice-president. The Colonial Hotel opened for business August 8, 1906. It contained 33 rooms.
The house seen behind the Colonel Hotel is the home of “Tank” Hughes, son of JE Hughes. The home now is the educational building for the Presbyterian Church.